Preparing for Tornadoes in Southern Minnesota | SERVPRO of Rochester
Has your home been impacted by a tornado this season? Call SERVPRO of Rochester to get your home back in order.
We are in the heart of severe weather and tornado season here in Rochester, and while it has been a quieter season than usual at this point, severe weather can pop up at any time. This hot and humid time of year is known to produce warm and sunny mornings that quickly turn south as storm systems develop over the plains and roll toward us.
Preparing for severe weather starts much earlier than after the weather warning is announced. By preparing your yard, family and home now, you can jump into action as soon as a tornado warning is issued. SERVPRO of Rochester’s team wants you to stay as safe as possible during this volatile time of year, so read on to learn how to prepare.
Preparing Your Home
One of the most destructive parts of a storm is wind. Winds can easily reach over 100 miles per hour during a strong storm and they can pick up debris and objects along the way. Keep your yard tidy as often as possible by removing dead branches or limbs and pick up toys or yard equipment regularly.
If severe weather is predicted a few days out, take the time to tie down outdoor furniture and secure things to the ground like propane tanks or anything else you don’t want blowing or floating away. You should also clear out any debris from your gutters to help the rain flow down and away from your home.
Preparing Your Family
Tornadoes can be dangerous or even deadly if you are in their path, so the last thing you want to be doing is running around grabbing supplies and getting ready if one is on the way to your house. Ensure that your safe shelter location is in an interior room without any windows, and keep it clear during the entire season so you can get to it quickly if needed.
Your freshly restocked emergency kit should also be waiting for you there. Pack anything that your family would need to live comfortably during and after a storm. This includes fresh water, shelf-stable food, batteries and flashlights, and a weather radio. Don’t forget to check your kit at the beginning of every season to make sure nothing is expired or was used and not replaced.
What to Do During a Tornado Warning
We know that many people’s first instinct when a tornado warning is issued is to head out to the driveway to chat with the neighbors about it and watch the storm come in. Storms are cool, that much is true, but don’t do that! Conditions can change in the blink of an eye, and the wind can quickly create projectiles.
Head inside and get to your safe shelter location right away. Don’t forget to grab your pets, too! Stay there and wait out the storm, and consider sheltering under a sturdy table or workbench for added protection.
After the storm, take a walk around your property to assess the damage. SERVPRO of Rochester’s storm restoration team is trained to handle any sort of storm damage, and we are here for you 24/7 to help you recover. Don’t hesitate to call us!
Summer storm damage can be extensive. Call SERVPRO of Rochester for immediate assistance.
End of Summer Tips to Care for Your Home
If you are like us at SERVPRO of Rochester, it's hard to realize that the end of Summer is here! Schools are starting, busses are on the roads again and soon it will be Fall.
The time between the seasons of Summer and Fall is a great time to make sure your home is ready for a new season and in a few months that word...SNOW.
Here a few tips we recommend to help keep your home in good condition for a new season.
Outside your home:
- Clean your gutters. Remove any debris to ensure rainfall can go through the gutter.
- Perform a visual inspection of the perimeter of your home. Look to make sure there is a positive grade going away from your home, not towards your foundation.
- Look at trees, branches and limbs close to your home. Are there any that could damage your home and windows if there were strong winds?
Inside your home:
- Check your furnace filter. Do you need to change it? Make sure to write the date you changed the filter.
- Check your smoke detectors. This is a good time to change the batteries.
- Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? It's a good time to change the batteries or get a new one.
You Must Deal With a Water Damage
Absolutely NO-ONE wants a water damage in their home, apartment, business or rental. Water damages happen due to different reasons from burst pipe, overflowing appliance or toilet, broken sump pump or water heater.
It's always interesting when SERVPRO of Rochester arrives on site of a customer's home and are completing paperwork. One of the questions is, "When did this loss occur?" You may be surprised to learn that the answer varies from an hour ago to six months ago. Yes, you read that correctly....six months.
So, what really happens if you wait to report a water damage to your insurance company and call us? Waiting to start mitigation services from SERVPRO of Rochester is not a good idea. The longer you wait to start the process the longer you could incur more damage to your home.
What are some of the things that can happen to your home if you wait to do anything with your water damage? Waiting may cause additional damage to your home and items in your home. Water left standing can intrude in doors, wood trim, sheetrock, carpet, carpet pad, chairs, couches, pretty much any items that are not hard.
If you find yourself with a water damage you should find the source of the water and stop it. Then, call your insurance company, SERVPRO of Rochester and if possible move any items out of the water.
Firework Clean-Up Tips
Celebrating the Fourth of July and lighting off fireworks is a long awaited tradition for many of us. For some people it's the planning and going to the fireworks store to pick out the perfect fireworks.
SERVPRO of Rochester would like to help you stay safe during the Fourth of July festivities. After you have grilled out, prepared for lighting off fireworks and waited for dusk to be able to begin the fireworks show and then enjoyed lighting them, it's time to think about the clean-up.
Here are a few tips SERVPRO of Rochester would like to share with you about the aftermath of lighting off fireworks.
- Let the used fireworks sit and cool down.
- When the fireworks are cool, put them in a metal bucket that has water in it.
- Leave the used fireworks in the metal bucket overnight.
- The following day, put the fireworks from the water into a double or triple bag.
- Dispose in garbage.
- NEVER put used fireworks in a bonfire.
Stay safe celebrating our freedom this Fourth of July.
Fourth of July Fire Tips
The Fourth of July is a time that many gather together with family and friends to celebrate the United States independence. There are parades, stellar sales in stores, purchasing fireworks, grilling out and then the long awaited lighting off fireworks!
Whether you participate in the lighting or are a spectator, SERVPRO of Rochester would like to share some firework injury facts and then some safety tips.
The National Fire Protection Association reports the following staggering statistics about injuries and damages to structures on the Fourth of July day.
- Each year there are 10,000 emergency room visits due to fireworks injuries on Fourth of July
- There are 19,500 structure fires reported on the day
- Adults age 25-44 and children age 10-14 account for the most firework injuries and burns on the fourth
- 64% of injuries are males
- The leg and finger/ hand are the areas that sustain injury the most frequent due to fireworks injury
We at SERVPRO of Rochester wish you a Happy Fourth of July and hope you stay safe lighting fireworks. Here are a few tips from The American Red Cross.
- If you are attending a public show of fireworks, stay at least 500 feet away from the display.
- If you are lighting off fireworks at home, make sure you have water close by in case a fire starts.
- Supervise children.
- Light one firework at a time. Never "relight" a dud firework.
Storm Damage in Olmsted County, MN
We all have experienced some type of storm damage. One time after our daughter was born a storm rolled in and the winds were so strong that it picked up our deck table which was aluminum frame with a glass table and toppled it over the grass below. We have have endured storms that have done extensive hail damage to our roof and siding. Thankfully those times and all the others we have been physically protected, but had to deal with damage to our home and belongings.
It seems that many storms each year are mighty and fierce. What can you do when you find yourself dealing with flooding in your home? Or perhaps you have strong line winds that have blown out your windows.
SERVPRO of Rochester has served customers after storm damage. Pine Island was flooded recently with the Zumbro River swelling over the banks and the water rushed into people's basements. Our technicians were called to help the homeowners once that waters receded. A family in Oronoco had their greenhouse windows blown out by a line of strong winds. We were able to clean-up the area and dispose of all the glass and debris.
These are just a few examples of storm damage the SERVPRO of Rochester was able to help the homeowners clean-up after the damage.
SERVPRO of Rochester Offers Commercial Mitigation Services
SERVPRO of Rochester offers commercial fire and water mitigation services for Rochester and the surrounding communities.
SERVPRO of Rochester has IICRC trained and certified technicians ready to serve you, 24 hours a day, even holidays and weekends.
Water mitigation services:
- Scope: Our technicians will come out and scope the job which includes: speak with the manager or owner, walk through the affected areas, take moisture readings on the various materials in the area. There are penetrating and non-penetrating moisture readings that will be taken. Some of the materials you can expect to be checked are ceiling, walls, flooring, doors, and trim. Technicians will also take pre-mitigation photos, record the moisture readings and develop a plan on how to mitigate the job.
- Explain the process: The lead technician will go over the documents that require the owner or manager's signature. All papers will be given to you at the end of the job. The technician will also tell you what areas are affected and what will need to be done for proper mitigation according to industry and IICRC standards.
- Begin the mitigation process:Technicians will begin moving any items that need to be moved to ensure safety of your belongings and safe work area. If demolition is needed of ceilings or walls, this process will begin. When all the affected materials have been removed, technicians will place professional drying equipment in the various areas that need to be dried.
- Daily monitoring: Each day technicians will arrange a time to come out and take moisture readings and move or remove equipment as the affected materials dry to industry standards.
- Insurance: SERVPRO of Rochester works with all insurance companies and submits all necessary documents to the insurance company. The documents go through an audit process before the bill is paid.
It's our pleasure at SERVPRO of Rochester to help you in your time of water or fire mitigation services.
Do You Have Enough Insurance Coverage for a Water Loss?
Unfortunately many times homeowners don't ask themselves or insurance agents, "Do I have enough insurance coverage for the entire process from water mitigation, drying process and reconstruction?"
SERVPRO of Rochester recommends that on an annual basis you inquire with your insurance agent if you have enough coverage for a water loss in your home. Insurance policies carry policy limits for sewage back-up and sump pump failures that often don't cover the entire process to restore your home to the way it was before the loss.
Many times when a customer has a water loss the damage affects the entire basement and materials such as walls, ceilings, doors and flooring. Most insurance policies have an average limit of $10,000 after the deductible for all mitigation and reconstruction. This is usually not enough to cover all the loss costs.
SERVPRO of Rochester urges you to be prepared for a water loss in your home. Talk to your insurance agent. The cost to increase your coverage is minimal, usually less than $100 in additional premium to your policy for a significant increase in coverage if you occur a water loss.
Flooding in SE MN
Did you know that according to the National Flood Insurance Program over 90% of all the United States natural disasters involve flooding? The Federal Emergency Management Agency or FEMA states on their website that one inch, YES ONLY ONE INCH, of water can cause $25,000 in damage to a person's home.
I don't know about you but that number takes my breath away in astonishment and amazement! The power of water should not be underestimated! Several websites state that six inches of moving water and has created flooding is enough to knock a person down. Some people may say that six inches is not a lot of water, but when you are faced with rapidly rising water and flooding, the situation becomes dangerous quickly.
Here are a few tips that SERVPRO of Rochester hopes can help you if you find yourself or a loved one in a flooding situation.
- Find safe shelter right away.
- Communicate with loved ones and friends where you are going.
- NEVER walk, swim or drive through this water.
- Stay away from bridges.
- If you are in your home, try to leave as soon as the flood water starts entering your home. Don't try to wait it out in hopes that the water goes down.
- Stay away from electricity and anything and everything electrical. Don't touch or use!
Stay safe from SERVPRO of Rochester!
HUGE Responsibility in Commercial Real Estate
At SERVPRO of Rochester we understand the massive responsibility and liability that owners and property managers have each and every day.
SERVPRO of Rochester wants to be your "go to" mitigation company. We are able to handle all sizes of losses. SERVPRO of Rochester has all the equipment needed, trained and certified technicians and are ready to serve 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Our technicians have vast experience in mitigation work whether it's fire, water, or trauma.
From the very beginning of your job, the first call that you make to SERVPRO of Rochester, we communicate throughout the entire job. There are many phases to each job. Our technicians scope out the job, take photos, moisture readings, and document. If needed, the technicians will demo. affected areas. We treat your belongings as they are our belongings. We pride ourselves on being honest, fair and hard-working. Each day a technician will come out to the job and take moisture readings, move or remove equipment depending on how the affected materials are drying out. At the end of the job, all the readings, equipment list and photos are compiled in a job file. This job file is shared with the customer and insurance adjuster.